A person who wants to stay healthy must always eat the right food. Unfortunately, most people today eat junk food, which is largely comprised of processed products and additives. Junk food also appears to be so attractive to consumers as it is cheap and readily available in countless fast food outlets. However, eating cheap yet harmful food can
be avoided, as there are many healthy meals that are both great for your body and affordable, meaning you can eat both well and cost effectively.
For a cheap meal to qualify as a healthy one, it has to have the necessary nutritional value. Along with this, it also has to have low fat content and no cholesterol. There are many examples of cheap and healthy meals that you can prepare at home, but here are a few of my favourites.
- One example is a meal of fajita-ranch chicken wraps, prepared with chickenbreast straps. This is a Mexican meal that could cost you as low as two dollars, yet it has all the necessary nutrients your body requires for healthy development. It is especially rich in protein and vitamins, provided by the chicken and the numerous vegetables you can add to the meal, such as peppers, tomatoes, carrots etc. It also tastes great, which really helps when you are looking to eat healthily.
- Seafood is always very healthy but is regarded by many to be among the most expensive types of foods. However, you can buy frozen shrimp very cheaply and cook it along with spaghetti and tomatoes. This is a meal that has very low cholesterol levels, as well as high protein, carbohydrate and vitamin content. This meal tastes wonderful and is very suitable for people who love seafood, but live on a budget.
- People who dislike long meal preparation can choose pork medallions with cranberry chutney. This is one of the fastest healthy meals to prepare, since it only takes about twenty minutes of preparation. As well as timesaving this meal is also money saving, as the average cost is only about one and half dollars.
- If you are a busy individual who eats unhealthy foods from fast foods outlets, because you do not have the time to cook, then you can alternatively prepare an easy meal of apple-glazed turkey. In fact, the preparation of this meal, which is rich in proteins, vitamins and carbohydrates, will only take you ten minutes. Its average cost is about two dollars and forty cents.
- Finally, another cheap but healthy meal is a Farfalle with chicken and mushrooms. This is meal has all the necessary nutrients your body needs, yet is low in fat. Preparing it is also very easy and will take you about twenty minutes.
Becky is an online writer, with a keen interest in health and lifestyle. For more top tips visit her Twitter page @FreshHealth11. She writes about food debris, which can create plaque, which can then lead to tooth decay and gum disease. Today, many doctors and dentists are linking gum disease to other more life-threatening illnesses, such as diabetes and heart disease, so it is always important to maintain the health of your teeth as well as your body.
- Budget Recipes – How to Eat on a Budget
- Seven Budget Organic Food Tips
- Easy Recipes to Help you get Dinner on the Table
- Very Frugal Recipes
- How to Start a Healthy Eating Plan (kleenexmums.com.au)