It is the time of year when so many people are making special Christmas gifts to give. I love receiving handmade gifts as well as giving them. Here is a frugal homemade gift idea that’s easy and fun to make, doesn’t break the bank and looks wonderful! You’ll even want to make some for yourself!
- Flat or Fender washers: These can be found at any hardware or home improvement store, such as Home Depot, Lowes or Ace Hardware. You can use different sizes too!
- Dimensional Glaze: Dimensional glazes give a thick protective layer and are good for flat pieces to give them a glass-like surface. There are MANY different types and brands. I used Glossy Accents. Some other popular ones are Crystal Effects and Crystal Lacquer.
- Patterned paper: You can use scrapbook paper, wrapping paper, newspaper, pages from a dictionary or magazines.
- Sand Paper:
- Glue: Any glue suitable to glue your paper to the washer such as Mod Podge, E6000
1. Trace the washer onto your paper and cut or punch out.2. Apply glue (Mod Podge or E600) to the washer. Place the cut out paper circle onto washer and smooth out any bubbles or wrinkles. Using a pencil, push through center hole.Let your glue set a couple minutes.
3. Use your sand paper or emery board and sand the edges to remove excess paper and get a cleaner line. Roll sand paper to sand inside circle.
4. Apply your Dimensional Glaze (Glossy Accents, Crystal Effects or Crystal Lacquer).Be sure to get glaze all the way to the edges.Let glaze completely dry with washer laying flat.Most glazes take at least 24 hours.5. Add any embellishments now such as wire, beads, rhinestones. The possibilities are endless.
6. Attach to your chosen necklace material.
Thank you Heidi for inviting me! I hope you’ve enjoyed this tutorial and it has inspired you to make some great necklaces of your own that you can share with us! You can find me at Easy Frugal Living, drop by and say hi!