Today is the first day for the new series on The Learning Channel, TLC Extreme Couponing.
I am curious what the fallout for this TLC series will be. I do know that Nathan Engels (he is the forum owner for We Use Coupons) is very excited about being featured. He has sent quite a few emails detailing what he did for the feature. We Use Coupons is a great forum and I hope this turns out well for them.
There are also a few couponistas who believe this will hurt the “extreme coupon” group.
Here is what I think:
- Extreme couponing is just that, extreme, but as long as it is not hurting anybody then it is fine. Nathan Engels gave most of his stash to a food pantry, great! If you have a hoarding problem and find that much of your product (free or not) expires before you can use it then extreme couponing is not for you.
- It is hard to be an extreme couponer if you can’t play the drugstore games! Shopping at places like CVS and Walgreens help you get things for free, and that is addicting.
- The Learning Channel likes to feature “extreme” people. Of course, I like to watch it. The site is calling extreme couponing borderline OCD and honestly, I can’t argue with that. But, many people deal with “borderline OCD” with one thing or another. Just make sure it is not interfering with your life.
- Couponing can be addicting. Once you see everything you can get for free it is not much of a leap to jump into the world of extreme couponing.
- I think Nathan Engel’s TLC feature will go better than some of the others. First of all (like it or not) he is a man. People see couponing differently when it is done by a man, even if it is extreme couponing. Secondly, he gave most of his stock to charity. I am not so sure about the other features.
Couponing can change your life, but make sure it is for the better, not for the worse. If you save money couponing then give back to your community. And, never let it consume your entire life.
You can save money by couponing, but you can also save lots of money using other frugal tips. TLC Extreme Couponing can be done at your local grocery store or when playing the drugstore game. If you plan out exactly how much you need then it will help save you from going to far.