Are you a blogger or a feed reader? Do you use/like full or partial feeds?
I have always used full feeds for my RSS subscribers. I recently changed it to partial feeds (for one week) and the results were astounding. Page views from my RSS feed increased by about 5X’s. That is pretty significant. However, I did get one comment asking me to change it back. Here is a pro/con list:
PROS for partial feeds
- I like to digest my feeds quickly. For a blog like mine (where sometimes 6-7 posts are listed in a day) many of the posts get lost near the bottom. With partial feeds all the page titles and summaries appear near the top of the email/rss and people are more likely to see them (since they do not have to scroll).
- Comments – if a reader likes/dislikes/has a question about a post in a partial feed they click on it to see the full post and comment on my blog. If they have a question about a post in a full feed then they tend to hit reply and email me directly. Emails are harder to keep up with than comments and I will sometimes get the same question a few times.
- Page Views – if a reader wants to read a full post they click on it and actually show up on my site, which shows up on my stats. They are more likely to support me and my sponsors by clicking an ad and my direct sale ads sell for a higher amount.
- Article “stealing”- There are many sites that take RSS feeds and put them on their own site as their material. Some link back, some don’t, but the main problem is in SEO. When a site takes your information word for word google dings it as duplicate content and you both get hurt. Giving them a full feed is allowing this to happen much more easily.
CONS for partial feed
- Your readers have to be interested enough in the topic to click the link and see the full article. This may cause some people to unsubscribe from your feed. Fewer readers, but the ones you do have would be more active.
Are you a feed reader (what service), email reader, or blog reader?
Do you like full or partial feeds?
How often do you click to the blog you are reading to support the writer? Is it different for your full and partial feeds?
When you get my full feed emails/RSS do you scroll down to see all of the posts I wrote that day?