Social networking is a great way to stay in touch with your followers and readers along with finding new ones. It has become important to know how to use these networks in conjunction with your blog.
- First, if you do not have a twitter account then go get one. All you have to do is go to Twitter.com and sign up for an account.
- Next you will need to upload a picture of yourself or a logo of your blog. Just go to Picture then Browse to find the image you want to use.
- Finally, if you wish to customize your design (you can see my custom design on my twitter page) then go ahead and do that by clicking on Settings – Design. You can use one of their many options or go to Themelion and upload a picture that is approximately 1100 pixels wide by 400 pixels tall.
After that you need to build up followers.
- you can import your contacts from email
- search for people using their name or interests
- let your blog readers know that you are on twitter and vice versa.
- Participate in conversations and send out tweets with useful information and you will gain and keep followers.
Social Oomph can help you keep up with your followers. You can sign up for a free account (they have a professional level account as well that has some wonderful features). The free account allows you to automatically follow people who follow you and send welcome messages to new followers among many other great features.
When you post on twitter you are limited to 140 characters. If you post a link you will probably need to shorten it, which you can do using tiny url, su.pr, or social oomph. Personally, I love su.pr because it is combined with stumble (which is the topic of a future blogging post and a site that you definitely need to be registered with). Su.pr will allow you to schedule tweets (and facebook updates) using the shorter urls.
Common tags used in twitter:
- @USERNAME = when you use this you are replying to the person behind the @. They will be able to see this and pull it up on their page (using the shortcut in the right sidebar). It is a conversation that is public. Do not say anything that you do not want everybody to see (if you want to send a private message then use a direct message). Always check if somebody has directed a comment towards you so you can answer them.
- d USERNAME = sends a direct message
- #WORD = a hashtag that can be tracked (so you can see the updates of many people on a single subject). Follow @hashtags on twitter to have your hashtags tracked. You can follow hashtags at hashtags.org.
That is nowhere near a comprehensive list of all that is twitter, but it does get you started!
TASK: Sign up for a twitter account, tweet something, and post your twitter link to your blog.
Monday we will talk about using Stumble to gain traffic.
Make sure you sign up for the series giveaways and today you can gain an extra entry by tweeting any post on Little People Wealth make sure you add @LPWealth so I see your tweet!