One of the most common questions I get is about blogging. How do you start a blog? Can you make money with a blog? How!!? Back in December of 2008 I was asking that same question when I wrote about ways to earn extra income. In this series you will learn how to start a blog and begin to make money with it. This series is geared toward new bloggers, but there will also be information for those of you who have been blogging for a while but just haven’t reached the income or popularity that you want. The series is 5 weeks long right now, but keep the comments and questions coming. If I need to add sections then I will.
A blog (WebLog) is simply a website that is arranged in chronological order. As you write your most recent posts are put on top. The rest of the posts are pushed down the page and eventually into the archive (a collection of everything ever written on the blog).
It is easy to start a blog, but it is much harder to get it to the level where you can make a decent amount of money. Problogger occasionally runs a survey to see how much bloggers are making. His latest survey showed that 28% do not earn anything. Out of the remaining 72% of bloggers 49% of them earn less than $100 a month and 23% earn more than $1000 a month. So while you may not be able to quit your full time job, it can bring in a little extra income.
It does take work, but you have to start somewhere (and sometime) so it might as well be here and now! Tomorrow we will talk about choosing a topic for your blog.
Make sure you sign up for the series giveaways and today you can gain an extra entry by tweeting:
I am learning how to make money blogging! http://su.pr/1DvmDZ @LPWealth