Readers Questions – Are Rebates Worth It?

It’s time to answer another reader’s question!

“I have a question that I have not really gotten a straight answer from anyone about or they don’t know anything about it. In your opinion do you think rebates are worth the hassle and trouble? Is there good rebates vs. bad rebates? I have been wanting to do rebates, but wonder if it’s really worth the hassle. Please let me know how you feel about rebates and if you do them. Thanks for your time :o)” – email

What a great question! It all depends on how much work you want to do. Much like coupons, there is a plan for the super organized person who wants to save as much as possible, a plan for the person who does not want much extra work at all, and one for those of us in between the two extremes.

I recommend that if the rebate is online (like the walgreens rebates) then you should do it! Keep your receipt and do not use the product until you get the confirmation. An online rebate should be confirmed within a few days. If there is a mistake then you can return the product.

Do all the online rebates and any rebate on an item that you would normally use or make money on. Send them in and write off any denials as part of the game. It isn’t a big deal if it is an item you would have gotten anyway. Try not to let anything you do to save extra money get to you! If it stresses you out then it isn’t worth it 🙂

Do all of the rebates you can find (online and snail mail). There are hundreds listed on Refund Cents right now! Copy everything before you mail it and file it. You can choose your filing system, but filing it by date and then keeping track of them in a spreadsheet can make them easy to find later. 90% of your rebates will come back okay. For the other 10%, just pull the file and call the company with your information. You can get a ton of free stuff this way!

Do your rebates as soon as you get home! You won’t forget or put it off this way. Make it part of your routine to come home and fill out your paperwork.

Contact me if you have a question and I will make it a topic of a future post!

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

1 nikkicrumpet February 14, 2009 at 7:03 pm

What a cool site you have here….I need to come back when I have more time and really snoop around. I ♥ saving money!


2 LittlePeopleWealth February 15, 2009 at 12:26 am

Thanks, hope to see you again soon 🙂


Leave a Comment

CommentLuv badge
This blog uses premium CommentLuv which allows you to put your keywords with your name if you have had 3 approved comments. Use your real name and then @ your keywords (maximum of 3)

Previous post:

Next post: