Four Tips to Deal with an Anti-Coupon Cashier – Readers Questions

If you would like me to answer one of your questions then email me at LittlePeopleWealth (at) Gmail (dot) Com or leave a comment on this post! I will be answering reader’s questions every Friday and Saturday. You can learn how to save a lot of money with coupons, but there are downsides to it. This question comes from Dina. Dina asked:

Hi, I recently started reading your blog and very much enjoy it. I have a question about coupons – I am a new “couponista” and have only been shopping this way for three months or so. I am amazed by how much money can be saved by watching the sales, stockpiling, and getting free after coupon items! One thing that’s really bugging me is some cashiers’ attitude – they look at my coupons with disgust and at me as if I am a stealing scum! And I do not buy large quantities, most of my coupons are clipped from the paper, and never dupicate printed Q’s. How do you deal with people like that? I guess I need to grow thicker skin 😉

Here are four tips to help with this problem!

TIP ONE
Give a big smile and say Hi/Good Morning/Good Evening to the cashier first thing. It makes it harder for them to be rude to you if you start out that way – I think it makes them feel bad since you become a “person” when you talk to them vs. just another customer taking up their time.

TIP TWO
Play the stereotypes 🙂 If you have a choice of cashiers then look for a male. For whatever reason, I have never had a male get upset over coupons. They are either indifferent (the young ones) or think it is pretty cool (the older and middle age ones). One of my favorite days was when an older male cashier called my husband over to the register “just to show him how good I did”, LOL.

TIP THREE
Pull out your coupons and payment and keep them in your hand (rather than keeping them in your purse). You should always have your coupons/payment ready because it will speed up the checkout – but if you have them in your hand (instead of in your purse) then it warns the people behind you so they can change aisles if they are too impatient to wait the extra couple of minutes. If the people behind you are impatient then it makes the cashier worse.

TIP FOUR
I have heard of people giving some of their freebies or coupons to get the freebies to their favorite cashiers. I don’t usually see the same cashier very often so I haven’t tried this one, but if you use the same person over and over then this could work for you!

1 Kory February 8, 2009 at 7:41 am

I just wanted to say that I think these are great tips! I totally agree- guys are the best about coupons!!

2 Abigail's_Mommy February 8, 2009 at 2:52 pm

I have the best luck with younger (high school) girls. They always think it is cool how much I save.

3 Michelle February 8, 2009 at 5:04 pm

I’m pretty new to this too, and I’ve noticed the same thing…the guys think it’s cool. I’ve had a couple of crabby women. How sad for them that one little transaction can put them in a bad mood. Must be a long day! 🙂

4 LittlePeopleWealth February 8, 2009 at 5:26 pm

It is sad that a coupon transaction can push a crabby woman over the edge!

I have mixed results with high school girls. Either they think it’s pretty cool or they act like I am taking years away from their life. They aren’t really snotty – just that I don’t want to be here and you are wasting my time attitude. I have a sneaking suspicion that they would act that way coupons or not, LOL!

5 Ginger February 9, 2009 at 6:59 am

One of the tips my readers came up with is to pick up a candy bar, pack of gum, mints or something at the checkout last thing and then give it to the cashier.

I suggested that they pay for it separately since some stores require that the employee have a receipt for items they consume in the store.

Great tips and don’t forget to give a smile right away too!

6 Anonymous February 10, 2009 at 10:03 pm

I have had really good luck esp at Walgreens and CVS. Usually they are impressed with how much I’ve saved and want to know how I did it. So I take that as a opportunity to give them some info on how they can save too. 🙂

7 LittlePeopleWealth February 11, 2009 at 4:23 am

The candy bar is a good idea – especially if you see the same cashier quite a bit 🙂 I love it when the cashier is happy about your couponing – it makes me feel proud!