- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 1-pound bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 can beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste. Add the beef and cook, breaking up the meat, for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add the beans and the tomatoes with their juice and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Transfer to an 8-by-11-inch backing dish.
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 400°. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes and cheese. Scatter the potato mixture over the chili. Place the baking dish on a baking sheet and bake until potatoes are cooked through and the chili is bubbling, about 35 minutes.