Here it is! Lesson one from my new Ebay Series. I am going to start with:
STEP ONE: Go to Ebay and click on “Sell” (upper right corner). It will pull a menu down – click on “Sell An Item” (first option)
STEP TWO: Click the blue button that says “Start Selling”
STEP THREE: Click the button that says “Register”
STEP FOUR: Fill out the page with your information and submit it. Pick a username that does not turn off buyers (hint: don’t use inappropriate words or titles that make people doubt your selling skills – would you buy from “Jerk”? He’s been a member for almost 11 years!)
That’s it, you are now the proud owner of an ebay account!
INSERTION FEE – this is the cost of posting your listing. The amount depends on the price you start your bidding at. I think all auctions should be started at $0.99 (more on that later) and that would cost you $0.15 (or $0.10 if it is media).
- Start your auction at $1-$9.99 and it will cost you $0.35 ($0.25 if it is media)
- Start the auction at $10-$24.99 and it will cost you $0.55 ($0.35 if it is media)
- Start the auction at $25-$49.99 and it will cost you $1
- Start the auction at $50-$199.99 and it will cost you $2
- Start the auction at $200-$499.99 and it will cost you $3
- Start the auction at $500+ and it will cost you $4
The insertion fee will have to be paid whether your item sells or not!!!
FINAL VALUE FEE – this is the cut of the sale that ebay gets if your item sells. The amount depends on the what your item sells for (final price) not including your shipping quote.
- If your item sells for $0.01-$25 then you will pay 8.25% to ebay
- If your item sells for $0.01-$1000 then you will pay $2.19 + 3.5% of the (final cost minus $25)
- If your item sells for $1000+ then you will pay $36.31 + 1.5% of the (final cost minus $1000)
The final value fee is only paid if your item sells!!!
RESERVE FEE – if you want to start the auction low, but set a “reserve” price so that you do not have to sell unless it reaches this price then you will be charged an insertion fee for the reserve price (not the starting listing price) plus $2 (or asn extra 1% of the reserve if it is set above $200)
BUY IT NOW FEE – if you want a price where people can skip the auction and “buy it now” instead then this fee will be added. Once somebody bids on your auction the buy it now will disappear (even if the bid is below the BIN)
- A BIN of $0.01-$9.99 is an extra $0.05
- A BIN of $10-$24.99 is an extra $0.10
- A BIN of $25-$49.99 is an extra $0.20
- A BIN of $50+ is an extra $0.25
GALLERY PLUS – Gallery is free, gallery plus gives you a bigger picture in the search listings for an extra $0.35
LISTING DESIGNER – $0.10, don’t do it – there are other (free) ways to make your listing look good.
SUBTITLE – $0.50, you will get an extra line to describe your item under the title (that will show up on a search page). It will be on the search page, but is not searchable so generally it is NOT worth it
BOLD – $2, you don’t need it. It will make the title of your post on the search page in bold
SCHEDULED LISTINGS – $0.10, your listing will post when you tell it to, there are better (free) ways to do this.
GIFT SERVICES – $0.25, ebay will put a little gift box on your auction meaning that you will ship it as a gift. It is just an icon, skip it.
BORDER – $4, probably not needed for your (or my) listings. It will put a box around your listing in the search page.
HIGHLIGHT – $5, same as above. It will highlight your listing in the search page
FEATURED FIRST – $24.95, your listing will come up first in a search. Probably not needed for items you or I will sell (used by professional sellers to draw people to their pages).
HOMEPAGE FEATURED – $59.95, your listing will be featured on the homepage. Probably not needed for items you or I will sell unless you want to take a chance on a huge item 🙂
Exercise #1 is an easy one! Create an ebay account for yourself!