Powder laundry detergent

We love this laundry detergent and since it contains no phosphates you can reuse the water for your plants if you want 🙂 It cleans great (we even use it on our diapers).

• 1/2 cup Dr. Bronners castile soap (any type is fine)
  • 1/2 cup Washing soda (not baking soda)
  • 1/2 cup Borax
  • 1/2 cup Baking Soda IF you have hard water

Dr. Bronners castile soap can be found at Amazon or at most health food stores. Any castile soap will work, although Dr. Bronners has some with the essential oils already added, which makes it smell yummy. Washing soda and Borax can be found in the laundry aisle of most stores.

You can add essential oils if you want. Some of my favorites are tea tree oil, orange oil, and lavender.

Related Posts:

Using Essential Oils to Clean your Home

Why I use Cloth Diapers

Using Cloth Baby Wipes

97 Ways to Save Money

Becoming Frugal, Starting at the Beginning

1 Corinna Bell August 31, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Do you put all items in load before clothes, do you mix it all first then add to wash, what do you do? Is this for all types of fabrics and is it okay to use with vinegar. I use vinegar in my rinse cycle. Also, can you tell me where can you get Dr. Bonners liquid and Washing Soda? I have never seen either.

2 Heidi September 1, 2011 at 2:13 am

I mix it all up and just add a Tbs when I start the load. Sometimes I put it in first, sometimes the clothes go in first. It works with all fabrics and definitely works with vinegar – my fabric softener has vinegar in it (along with some essential oils, baking soda, and water). Washing soda is in the cleaning aisle of most stores – sometimes they put it in the laundry aisle. Dr. Bronner’s can be found at Amazon or a health/natural store. Any castile soap will do and there are cheaper castile soaps out there, but I found that Dr. Bronner’s worked the best for me (and I can use it for other things too).

3 Ann October 27, 2011 at 9:29 am

Can the powdered laundry detergent be used in front-loading HE washers?

Thanks!

4 Heidi October 27, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I use it in a HE – I do add a presoak step in though so it completely dissolves.

5 Corinna October 27, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Thanks for the info Heidi…I really appreciate it.

6 Heidi October 27, 2011 at 9:45 pm